Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Reaction to "The Concept of Discourse Community" by John Swales


There’s no secret in the writing that Swales presents us with. His style of writing is complex, advanced, and likely not very understandable by lesser-educated individuals like myself. Swales speaks of “discourse communities” and “speech communities” like they are common things that everyone and their mother is aware of. I don’t know about many other people, but for me, this paper when right over my head, juggling vocabulary and data effortlessly while I still try to get past the opening sentence.  At least that’s how I felt until he brought into his essay an example that I could somewhat understand. Using a stamp club to develop his definition of discourse communities, Swales effectively clarifies his entire essay into one simple metaphor. To add to his metaphor, I believe that you could view a Facebook group as a discourse community. If we were to take his first characteristic of a discourse community and apply it to Facebook groups in general, I think we could see how these internet groups could qualify for the title. Swales identifies that “a discourse community has a broadly agreed set of common public goals” (11), and if you were to browse your own Facebook page, I think you could find any number of pages and groups that follow that description. Most groups are formed for a singular purpose: to get followers to daily see the updates the company or group is making, as well as in what direction the group is heading. Once you’ve liked the page (your admission into the community), they will bombard you with information pertaining to the group and you will be in constant communication with the group or company. This is another quality that Swales identifies, where a particular community will accept members, and keep them connected to the community through pamphlets, letters, or status updates. With the advances of technology, discourse communities are no longer a rarity, and whether you like it or not, I firmly believe we are all involved in community or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment